Quantcast

patty pan squash?

Ashley
A friend of my husbands gave him some mystery seeds this spring and since we let my five year old plant her own garden of odd things we put them in her garden. They came up like crazy! After some head scratching and searching we decided they were patty pan (or white) squash. Never having ate these before im at A loss with what to do with them all! Does anyone have any recipes for canning these? I hate to let anything go to waste. Hopefully someone has a good recipe for these before i become completely buried!!!! Thanks!

Re: patty pan squash?

Canned Nerd
The tiny patty pan squash are excellent pickled (see recipe below) and refrigerated.  If you want to 'can' them, follow any approved and tested recipe for squash or zucchini and you should be fine, such as found in the Ball Blue Book.

Pickled Baby Pattypan Squash

1 cup Distiilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp canning (pickling) salt
Your choice of spices - optional

1. Spices can be anything you like. For this particular batch of pickles, I used a generous tablespoon of pickling spice. Depending on what you’re pickling, you can add garlic, peppercorns, red chili flakes, dill seed, mustard seed, etc.

2. After you pour the brine over the veg, place a lid on the jar and let is sit on the counter until it’s cool. Once it’s returned to room temperature, pop the jar into the fridge and let it sit for at least 48 hours before proceeding to munch.